The Ontario Construction Secretariat (OCS) was formed in 1993 as a joint labour/management organization representing 25 unionized construction trades and their contractor partners in Ontario’s industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) construction sector. Its mandate is to enhance Ontario’s ICI construction industry by developing relationships, facilitating dialogue, providing value-added research, disseminating important information to client groups and promoting the value of ICI unionized construction across Ontario.
PIPEDA, the federal privacy act, requires all organizations that collect, use or disclose information do so in a manner that recognizes the right of privacy of individuals. The Act specifies 10 principles for compliance: accountability; identifying purposes; consent; limiting collection; limiting use, disclosure and retention; accuracy; safeguards; openness; individual access; and challenging compliance.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an “identifiable individual” that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. Business contact information such as information on business cards and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers as published in telephone directories are not considered personal information under PIPEDA. Information about corporations is not considered personal information.
What types of personal information does OCS collect and use?
OCS collects information in fulfilling its mandate to members, industry stakeholders and employees. The following illustrates the purposes for collecting personal information.
- Contact information for members and industry stakeholders that are used for the distribution of OCS publications and communications
- Information received from and about persons registering for OCS events, subscriptions and downloadable content
- Information received from persons completing comment forms from OCS publications, events, seminars and other programs offered by the OCS
- Information to verify the eligibility of industry stakeholders as a direct OCS stakeholders
- Information posted to the OCS website
- Information received from participants in industry consultation activities
- Information received from participants related to various OCS research projects
- Information providing proof of participation in, or eligibility for, a survey or research initiative
- Information related to employment at OCS and those seeking employment at OCS
OCS does not use techniques that collect personal information about anyone without their knowledge. OCS only collects personal information about individuals when they specifically and knowingly provide it to us, for example when they complete a registration form.
If you request information or products from OCS, we may collect name and contact details including address(es), mailing preference, telephone numbers and email address and relationship with the OCS.
Why does OCS collect and use of personal information?
Information collected by OCS will be used to establish and maintain responsible relationships with our members and stakeholders, to provide appropriate products, services and support. Personal information will be used to provide members/stakeholders with the specific services or products requested.
One of the OCS’s primary objectives is disseminating information to its members and industry stakeholders. To achieve our objectives, OCS provides information about products and services that are of interest to construction industry professionals such as legislative updates, economic & construction updates, and other services.
Specifically, OCS uses information as follows:
- To develop and promote OCS programs, services and information products
- To provide and communicate information about the Ontario Construction Secretariat and its products and services
- To provide and exchange information with our members and industry stakeholders
- To update contact information in our database
- To conduct surveys for research purposes
- To engage interested parties in policy/program development
What about online privacy at the OCS website?
Our web server collects statistical data about visitor information used only in aggregate. This tracking system does not record personal information about individuals or link this information to any personal data collected. The web analytics help us improve the content and structure of our website. We will not share or sell this information to a third party, except in cases of electronic intrusion, where material pertinent to the intrusion may be shared with computer security professionals as well as law enforcement official in those case warranting legal attention.
How does OCS obtain consent?
The information you provide to OCS – such as your name, address, etc. – allows OCS to inform you about events and activities and to notify you of issues, events or special reports which may be of interest to you. By being a member, requesting information, downloading reports or registering for events offered by OCS,
you are giving OCS permission to contact you by way of the information you provide. To customize your communications preferences, please contact OCS at email@example.com or 416-620-5210.
When and to whom does OCS disclose personal information?
How secure is your personal information
OCS makes every reasonable effort to protect any personal information we have in our possession with respect to our offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification of personal information. OCS employees are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that the information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered. We also take measures to ensure the integrity of this information is maintained and to prevent its being lost or destroyed.
Attn: Privacy Officer Robert Bronk, Chief Executive Officer Ontario Construction Secretariat 360 – 180 Attwell Drive, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M9W 6A9 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org